Monday, May 14, 2012

Official training starts this week! 

I am working with a coach who is turning 46 in July too and she has run an Iron Man.  She is super fit and the one of the most enthusiastic and warm people I have ever met.  She has 5 children and if you met her on the street you would not guess she is an Iron Man or should I say Iron Woman!

You might think that hiring a coach is a luxury you can't afford but for $175 per month I believe it will be well worth my investment. 

A little about me...as I said in one of my first posts, I never ran a mile before I turned 40.  Not one mile!  I thought I need to do more as I get older to stay fit...it's not as easy to keep the pounds off at 40 as it is at 25.  :)

I signed up and ran my first 5K a few years ago.  I ran by myself and by the end of the race in the pouring ran.   As I said, running is not glamorous...I looked like a drowned rat at the end of my first race.  But that race inspired me to keep going!  I ran another 5K with my friend Danielle.  Then my friend and marathoner, Cynthia asked me to run a race with her (she is in her 50's).  I was intimidated and after a few months of procrastinating, I asked her to run a half marathon with me.  I had no idea how to train for a first half marathon but she inspired me and helped me.  I trained by myself and after a few months reached my 10 mile training goal! 

I ran my first half marathon was almost exactly one year ago today.  The race weather was less than ideal.  40 mile per hour wind gusts and the waves on Lake Michigan were pounding over the shoreline and onto the course.  Again, I looked like a drowned rat at the end of the race and my hands were numb from the cold.  But, when I crossed the finish line the feeling was unbelievable!  I thought I was going to cry!  I received my first medal at 44.  I had never received a medal in my life.  So the point of this story is...don't let anything stop you.  Not wind, rain, snow, sleet or hail.  After that experience I thought if I can do this...I can do anything :)

You will start seeing posts from guest bloggers. People in all levels of fitness and with different goals. The purpose of this blog is to raise money for Ronald McDonald House Charities and to motivate anyone to starting moving!  Please pass along my blog to anyone who might be interested.

Please donate today.  Many of my friends told me they will donate closer to the race but with a $10,000 goal, the sooner the better!

http://teamrmhc.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1008711&supid=359448020

Hope you are enjoying this blog.   Please feel free to add comments and to pass it along.

Newbiemarathoner

No comments:

Post a Comment