Thursday, May 31, 2012

I overtrained!

Hello everyone,

I overtrained yesterday.  Ouch!  I am sore!  I was scheduled to run 5 miles on Tuesday but my daughter had a sports award ceremony that lasted until almost 10pm.  Way past my bedtime to start running at 10pm!  So I decided I could "make up" for Tuesday on Wednesday.  I "ran" 5 miles in the afternoon and rode my bike 10 miles in the evening.  No problem sleeping last night :)  My training is really going to start kicking in gear now...I have no choice.  I signed up for this damn Marathon!  What was I thinking!

As promised, I am sharing David's story today.  I started working with David a few months ago and was really impressed with his friendliness and positive attitude.  I had no idea, until recently, about his life threatening experience. 

David is 42 yrs old.  "It was really strange - one Saturday, I was running stairs and doing burpees as part of training for the Crossfit Games, the next I was jaundiced..."


David has an ask for today...please sign up to be an organ donor.


David's Story


I came down with symptoms (jaundice, malaise) in mid January 2011.  Was diagnosed with " autoimmune hepatitis causing acute liver failure".

I was discharged and stable at the end of January (it's safer at home than in the hospital), stayed stable for a few days until the day after that big snowstorm that closed LSD.  That night I fell into coma and was revived/woken up the following Wednesday - missing the Super Bowl.  The cause of the coma was a sudden worsening of the liver decomposition which caused a buildup of ammonia, which caused the hepatic encephalopathy and coma.  And waking up like that is really frightening.  No idea where you are, no idea what's happened, having arms and legs secured to the bed so you don't thrash around, all sorts of tubes in your nose and mouth.  Not being able to speak (because of the tubes) or really communicate. 

I was two weeks in the intensive care awaiting a new liver.  Since my condition was acute, the protocols for obtaining a new organ are slightly different - my "waiting list" is not the traditional one that people think of.  But it also meant someone had to die to give me another chance.  I remember lying in the hospital, waiting.  Each time I'd hear an ambulance hurry up to the ER, I'd wonder if my chance at living was happening below. 

That's the hardest part:  My family's happiness that I'm still here is mixed with the unfathomable sadness and loss another family has had to overcome.

To deal with that, I'm being the TRANSPLANT ROCKSTAR.  Being as healthy and as fit as I can be.  I owe it to Anne, my wife, my parents, and my donor's family and memory.  I call him "SAM", short for "Good Samaritan" .  So I make sure I follow every rule, exercise and hydrate properly, follow and maintain a healthy diet, schedule and keep every appointment, take all my meds exactly as prescribed, and live life with attitude.

And this is an ongoing story - and one with a victorious ending!

Please donate and sign your organ donor card

NewbieMarathoner



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment big Phil! He is an inspiration! Please guest blog for me soon and tell your story about fundraising for the schoolchildren in Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog (via twitter of all places!) and I'm excited to keep reading, I'm adding you to my reading list on my blog :) I'm training for my first marathon too - it will be awesome to read about someone else's marathon training!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you found my blog via twitter! You are the first person to do so (that I am aware of) Good luck on your training and please free to comment any time!!
      Newbie

      Delete