Wednesday, September 19, 2012

20 Mile Run- Part 2

I didn't include any of the details of my run so I thought I should include them in my second post. 

As I said, I ran 20 miles in 3:56!   For anyone who is not Rain Man and doesn't have a calculator handy...that is an 11:47 pace. :)  Slower than I had intended but I'm still happy with it.

The first mile I ran with the 11 min pace group...my coach always warns me to start slow so I lagged behind knowing the next group behind me was also an 11 min pace group.

To pass the time, I was hoping to find a running buddy.  As luck would have it I found Dave.  We spent over 3 hours ( mile 3-15) talking about our children, jobs, running, and politics.  It was a great way to pass the time. 

The first couple of miles were easy but the middle miles were quite tedious. It was sunny, there were a couple of hills (OK small inclines but they felt like hills after running 2-3 hours!) and generally a fatigue develops after running for such a long time.




But we kept with it...my overall pace was slower than I wanted because a few of the middle miles...the tedious ones...we took a little too much time at the water stations...


At Mile 16 Dave met up with his running buddy who was having a difficult time.  So we decided to part company and I pushed ahead.  I only know Dave's first name so I hope to "run" across him again at the Marathon to thank him for keeping me company for 3 hours.


With 4 miles left, I was determined to make up some time.  I pulled the visor down on my hat, cranked up the tunes (some cheesy Shaina Twain) and ran my ass off.  OK, not really, but as much running my ass off as I could muster after 3 hours of running and being HOT and TIRED and SWEATY :)

Mile 17...
Mile 18...
Mile 19...

OMG...when will this end????  Damn!  Where the heck (I might have used another word) is Jackson Park anyway??? 

It seemed 20 mile was ALWAYS just a little further...


Then I thought about the article I read recently...push thru the temporary pain...don't have any regrets....FINISH STRONG.


Finally the FINISH LINE was in site...people lining it...clapping and cheering...


I DID IT!!!  I RAN 20 MILES!!! 


I did not crawl across the finish line...I ran across...my last 4 miles were as fast as my first (11 ish)  Wooo Hooo!!!!

There was nothing miraculous about what I did that day..it just took training, patience and passion. 

Marathon here I come!!!  :)

As always...if I can do it...YOU CAN DO IT...whatever your IT may be :)


Yeah!!  My toenails are still intact :)  They might look black but it's just purple polish :)

At finish line!  The 2 fingers are for 20 miles...not peace or victory...as my children thought :)

 


 



Please donate...time is running out...the children and families of RMHC need your help.  Every dollar makes a difference...YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE TODAY




Your friend Newbie,

No comments:

Post a Comment