Friday, September 21, 2012

My RMHC Guest Blog

Charles (the RMHC inspirational Marathon team leader) asked me to write a guest blog for the RMHC blog weeks ago.  Well....I finally wrote it and decided to post it on my blog too.  Happy reading!  And Happy Friday!!




When Charles first asked me to write a guest blog, I hesitated and procrastinated.  My story really wasn't that special compared to the other ones I've read.

I am not runner who as a child benefited from RMHC
I am not a seventy year old woman running my first marathon
I am not a wheelchair racer

They are true heros!
 
But then I thought my story is inspiring too.  I'm 46 year old woman who took up running late in life. I didn't run one step until after I turn 40!  I ran my first half marathon at 44 and now almost a year and a half later I am running my first marathon.  I was inspired by a few close friends.  Cynthia motivated and mentored me for my first Half Marathon and Jan convinced me I could run a full Marathon.  

 
When people ask me: So WHY are you running your first Marathon at 46 years old and setting a lofty $10,000 fundraising goal for RMHC??

I usually make a joke...Why not?  I'm not getting any younger!

But, the real reason is because I can and I should.  I am helping in the way I can.  It might be small but it's still very important.  Every dollar I receive in donations helps.
 
Helps the children in need
Helps the families in need
Helps them overcome some of their struggles


I am blessed with two healthy children and I am thankful for them and their health.  When my son Will was a newborn he spent a week in intensive care.  My daughter Gabrielle recently had major dental surgery and was put under general anesthesia.   Both experiences were scary for me and made my heart ache. 
 
 
I can empathize with the families of RMHC, but it's minor in comparison to the challenges the children of RMHC are facing everyday.

 
I am following through on my commitment to the Marathon and fundraising mercilessly.  Anyone who works with me or has to interact with me regularly knows this very well!

I'm running and raising money for those who can't because I can!



Minutes after finishing my first 20 mile run
 
Your friend Newbie,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment