Friday, September 14, 2012

Guest blog from my awesome friend Gail



Thank you Gail for writing such an inspiring blog!  I added a few words to the end of this post but the rest is written by Gail.  Enjoy!


Gail's Guest Blog
For weeks and weeks and weeks and…well, you get the point, of Sue kindly suggested I submit a guest blog.  Overall, I was resisting the request because I truly felt like I had nothing to say to you, her blog followers.   Yes..I was inspired to start running by Sue.  More because she talked about herself as a non-runner or run-walker that decided she could push herself further than because I have some burning desire to run a marathon (I do NOT!).    I thought…who really gives a damn about a random mom from Iowa that is busting out of her jeans and needs to get her fat ass running??? 

However, a conversation Sue and I had the other day triggered a thought.  I decided to share why I decided to donate (twice) to Sue’s fundraising effort. 

I am a mother of 4 beautiful children – Jack (14), Caroline (11), Jane (8), and Matthew (6).  These 4 blessings drive me absolutely bonkers many, many days.  They argue with each other, don’t pick up their stuff, and complain about chores…typical kids.  They are, however, HEALTHY.  My husband, Gary and I have been blessed with 4 beautiful, healthy children. 

But, Gary and I are not special.  Our children are healthy by the grace of God and luck of the draw. 

When my children are sick, I am the one they want by their side…Gary is a very close second. J  They are just like all the other children in this world that simply want their parents when they aren’t feeling well.

It makes my stomach turn to think of one of my children seriously sick and in the hospital.  I know Gary and I would keep watch over them 24/7…taking turns tending to kids at home and our sick baby.  We both have good jobs, so if needed, we would travel to the best hospitals, staying in hotels nearby, so we could always be close by.   I would refuse to leave my sick, suffering child alone in a strange city without their parents.  

Then I think…what if I had no choice? What if, the best care was hundreds of miles away and we couldn’t afford a hotel? What if we couldn’t afford to drive back and forth 120 miles each day for my beautiful child’s chemotherapy treatments?  Now THAT, really makes my stomach turn.

The reality is that this is EXACTLY what hundreds of families face every day.  The agonizing thought of necessary treatments to save their child’s life, but the inability to afford the logistics to be there for them.  Can you imagine that?  What mother or father could survive the thought of their child going through a spinal tap procedure without being there to hold their hand or snuggle them afterwards?

Here’s where The Ronald McDonald House Charity comes in!  Their website describes better than I can, what they do…..

Ronald McDonald House program provides a “home-away-from-home” for families so they can stay close by their hospitalized child at little or no cost.  Our Houses are built on the simple idea that nothing else should matter when a family is focused on healing their child – not where they can afford to stay, where they will get their next meal or where they will lay their head at night to rest. We believe that when a child is hospitalized the love and support of family is as powerful as the strongest medicine prescribed.

You can go to http://rmhc.org/  to read personal stories from families that benefited from Ronald McDonald House.

I donated on Sue’s behalf, not only because she is a friend, but because I am a parent.  I can’t image any parent not understanding the profound impact an organization like Ronald McDonald House Charities would have on a family that needed it.  How much would a nice dinner out celebrating the blessing in your life cost..$50, $75, $100, $200?  How about donating that amount to RMHC and staying home to snuggle those healthy, beautiful, pain-in-the neck kiddos?

AAANNNDDDD…. Because Sue’s blog is never complete without a shout out to running….  I give a big thumbs up to the program called “Couch to 5K”.  The program will get you from a lazy ass to 5K runner in 8 weeks.  You gradually increase the amount of running and decrease the amount of walking each week.  I’m at the end of week 4....alternating running 5 min/walking 90 secs.  Next week....running 2 miles with no walking.  AAAAHHHH!  Their free app , “C25K”, is awesome.  It “talks” to you…telling you when to run and when to walk.  It even talks over music.   I’m scheduled for my first 5K on Oct 6!


******************************************************************************

Thank you again Gail!!! 

20 mile run on Sunday!  I am nervous but also know I can do it.  I ran the 1/2 marathon at an 11:03 pace so I am GOING FOR IT and will run the 20 miler with the 11:00 minute pace group.  I have never run with a pace group and they will all be strangers to me.  I feel like a kid at the first day of kindergarten...I'm a little nervous...not sure I will fit in...and don't know what to expect.  The longest I have EVER run is 16 miles.    If I finish the 20 miler well, I will be more confident I can run 26.2 miles in a mere 3 weeks!

Wish me luck!!!  I hope I don't trip :)


Your friend Newbie

Please donate…it only takes a few minutes (I PROMISE) and the children of RMHC need your help. Current total is $5,508 with a $10,000 goal...only 22!!! more days until the Marathon and blog farewell
Link to my blog

Link directly to donation page

 

No comments:

Post a Comment