Sunday, August 26, 2012

Can't plan for the unexpected...


I have to admit...I’m a planner.   Sometimes it’s a good thing…sometimes not…  I have tried to learn I can PLAN for things but I have little CONTROL over things.

I was planning for my emotional state for months (ok maybe even years!) before Will actually left for college.  :)

All is well on Friday morning, I have a decent 8.5 mile run, pack and almost ready for the airport.  I decide I would rather wash some drinking glasses than put them in the dishwasher.  I find they are more sparkly that way J

Well…I am mindlessly washing the glasses…when I look down and think…??????.....what just happened?  Is that my blood pouring into the sink????  Did the glass break while my hand was in it twisting the sponge? 
 
Damn!!!  Or I might have said something that started with an S or an F.  :)

Bree comes running into the kitchen…  What’s wrong?   

“I just cut my hand in two places” 

Fortunately, I taught her well!  She tells me to keep calm and asks me what I need.   I lay down for a bit because  am feeling light headed.
 
Damn !!  The cuts are bleeding heavily and we are supposed to leave in 15 minutes for our flight to New Orleans!  The bleeding eventually slows down...I bandage it up... and we are off to the airport.

Anyway...the point of this story is plan for the expected but more importantly….stay calm when the unexpected happens. I hope to take this recent learning to the marathon.  I think I know what to expect.  I've trained and planned for the Marathon.  But I really have NO IDEA what will actually happen.  Life works in mysterious ways…we need to adjust and adapt to whatever comes our way...and make the BEST of it.

I’m happy to report, Will is all settled at Tulane.  I’m so excited for him and didn’t cry one tear (stiff upper lip).  I’m typing this post on the return trip home while wearing a big bandage on my hand.  I wonder if I will have a scar that will always remind me of Will's Tulane move in weekend...
 
 
 

 

Your friend Newbie,


Please donate…it only takes a few minutes (I PROMISE) and the children of RMHC need your help. Current total is $5,048 with a $10,000 goal...only 42!!! more days until the Marathon and blog farewell

Link to my blog
http://newbiemarathoner.blogspot.com/

Link directly to donation page
http://teamrmhc.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1008711&supid=359448020
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment