Sunday, August 12, 2012

Continuing to conquer my fear of heights....

Well...I wasn't going to post today but Bree is sleeping and I have nothing else to do :)


When I asked her where she wanted to go on vacation without hesitation she said Whistler.  I love Whistler but it would not have been my first choice.  But, I'm glad I agreed with Bree.

The first time we went to Whistler Will and Bree wanted to zipline.  I was terrified but they were too young to go without an adult so I had no choice.  I was scared but enjoyed it.  The adrenaline rush zipping between the mountain tops is INTENSE!

When Bree said she wanted to zipline again this time I was apprehensive but again I couldn't disappoint her.  The highest zipline is 20 stories high.  As you drop 20 stories, the top speed is 55 MPH for 2,200 feet!  (Yes the Canadian guide was nice enough to translate from kilometers for the Americans :) )

The zip experience is about 2.5 hours long.  A bus takes you to the starting point on Blackcomb mountain and you spend the next 2 hours ziping and walking across suspension bridges, down mountain trails and up towers.  There was a total of 5 zip lines of our tour.  Of course we had to take the SCARY tour...there is a less advanced tour that also has 5 lower and slower ziplines. 
Two videos of our Ziptrek experience. 




All geared up
Can't see the look of terror on my face from this far away!

Bree is fearless!

One of many suspension bridges to cross during our zip adventure



The river we crossed many times...this is not very high...we went much higher!








No running today...hiking instead :) 

Again...continuing to conquer my fears!  Taking the gondola up Blackcomb mountain and then ACROSS to Whistler mountain.  They call it the Peak to Peak experience.  I call it terrifying!!!!  The Peak to Peak gondola has a glass bottom.  I am definitely not going to look down...well...if I get the nerve I might :)  Bree is so excited!  Me...not so much :)


But, over and over again I've found that the anticipation of whatever we fear is actually worse than actually going thru and addressing the fear. 

So....My inspirational message for today :)  Conquer a fear!


PS.  If Bree and I don't plunge to our death today...we will watch the closing ceremonies of the Olympics from the Whistler Olympic Plaza tonight.   How unexpected and fun is that!!

Your friend Newbie,


Please donate…it only takes a few minutes (I PROMISE) and the children of RMHC need your help. Current total is $4,848 with a $10,000 goal...only 56!!! more days until the Marathon and blog farewell


Link to my blog
http://newbiemarathoner.blogspot.com/

Link directly to donation page
http://teamrmhc.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1008711&supid=359448020


No comments:

Post a Comment