Thursday, August 30, 2012

Without you



Without your generous donations it would not be possible to help 12,000 families each day in 350 Ronald McDonald Houses across the country.


Thank you to everyone who has already donated!  And to those who haven't donated yet...there is no time like the present :)


Please watch this short video...it will touch your heart...

"Without You" (just over a minute): http://rmhc.org/what-we-do/video-stories/#/34




With my 18 mile run coming up on Saturday, I know I will think many times of QUITTING or slowing down or walking. I will probably think "Who will know if I just decided to run only 8 or 10 miles instead of 18?" 


Two opposing thoughts:


If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.”
W. C. Fields


"We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot."
Eleanor Roosevelt


So.... will I follow WC's sage advice or Eleanor's inspirational quote?


Only time will tell :)

 


To keep myself accountable, I decided I would run with a pace group at the lake this weekend. The camaraderie will keep my mind occupied so I don't think about quitting (I hope :)) 


My short runs are getting much faster on Wednesday morning I hit my fastest speedwork yet.  I ran one of the eight 1/2 mile intervals at a 8:56 pace!  I know that is still slow for many people but for me it's FAST.  Again, if I can do it...anyone can do it!


Then on Wednesday night, I was hit with a bad cold.  How am I going to run 18 miles with a bad cold???  Oh well, I will have to figure something out...and hope I am much better by Saturday. 


While backing up some old photos today, I came across this photo of one of my first training runs for the Marathon.  A 6 mile run was considered the "long run" at the start of my training.  This photo is after running 6 miles and I remember being HOT and TIRED!  But I plan to run 18 MILES this weekend as my "long run".   It proves to me with heart, effort and determination you can achieve your goals. 
 
 

 
PS.  I think I am the ONLY person training for a marathon who has actually gained weight.  I am taking this carbo loading way too seriously.  Unfortunately red wine is a big part of my carbo loading and I don't think that is on the Marathoner's diet :)

PSS.  My running buddy is temporarily sidelined with an injury.  Get well soon Jan! 




Your friend Newbie,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment