Wednesday, August 15, 2012

TGIT--Thank God it's Thursday :)

Because I don't work on Fridays I decided I should TGIT :) 

I changed my schedule so I don't have to run 5 and 16 on back to back days.  Just a SHORT 5 mile run on Thursday and a one day break before I have to run 16.   I just realized I will run a total of 32 miles this week!  WOW!!  I believe that is a record for me.   A record I will break every week for the next few weeks during my training but it is a record right now.

After my trail run in the morning, if I still have any energy left I might TGIT at Uniquely Thursday again. 

So that brings me to the inspiration for the day....  I excerpted this from Charles' email this week.  As I mentioned before, Charles is our RMHC team inspirational coach.  Thank you for the inspiration Charles and for giving me the "rights" to post part of your email in my blog.



Excerpt from Charles' email

Okay. So I'll be honest... I'm NOT going to win the marathon--so I might as well "enjoy the heck" out of every week of training, and try to imagine the (unimaginable) thrill of 'running Chicago' on Marathon Day.


And that's my wish for each of you as well.


Whether this is your 'first ever' marathon or your 'tenth ever'... have a GREAT time.


(And I'm NOT talking about the 'time' on your watch... I'm talking about having a 'great time.' Period.)


 Marathoners are (by nature) a rather competitive bunch (or haven't you noticed?).  :o)


Which is a good thing--as it keeps us ALWAYS moving forward and ALWAYS striving to achieve our 'next goal.' But at the same time, being (too) competitive can be a NOT good thing... as we sometimes get SO serious about our pace and our plan and our times that we can lose-out on the joy of "just running."


We're now at the REALLY 'long-run' stage of training (what I call the 'serious' miles)... all the more reason to run with your shoulders back and your head up--and with a HUGE smile on your face because of what you're going to achieve.


(YOU'RE GOING TO RUN THE CHICAGO MARATHON!)


As an aside, allow me to share something which made ME smile--it addresses one of my personal 'pet peeves' about running, and it comes from "The Runner's Rule Book" by Mark Remy, who reminds us, 'For Pete's Sake, Stand Still At Red Lights!':



"Sharks die when they stop moving. Runners do not. Keep this in mind next time you encounter a 'don't walk' sign at a busy intersection. There's no need to jog in place or dance from foot to foot like you have to pee. Just chill. Wait a few moments. (NOTE: If a non-runner waiting with you at the crosswalk is dancing from foot to foot, he or she may indeed have to pee. Give this person wide berth.)"


Some people say "it's all about the journey" of training for Marathon Day.

Others say, "forget the journey--it's all about the destination... the 'FINISH' line."

Honestly, it's both.

Journeys are determined by the choices you make--in this case, the choice you made to register for the 2012 Bank of America Chicago Marathon; and the commitment you've made to train and run and fundraise with Team RMHC.

Your destination is determined by the steps you take--in this case, the strides you'll take on October 7.

My wish for each of you is that you continue to have a safe and successful training journey; and that on Marathon Day you run with a strong body and mind, and reach the 'FINISH' with a confident and determined spirit.


But mostly, (MOSTLY!)...  I wish you the joy of "just running."

 *****************************************************************************




Love this quote!  This photo looks like a mug shot and I am holding up my number :)  The woman at the gift shop thought I was a little quirky...but I am always thinking about material for my blog...at least for the next 50 days or so....



I will ponder Charles' inspirational message and this quote during my 5 mile trail run on Thursday.  I still can't believe I will run the CHICAGO MARATHON!!!  Charles' comments not only apply to the marathon but to anything you might be might be training for (Gail training for her first 5k!).  So find the JOY in your training OR whatever you are doing right NOW.

Right now you are reading my blog...I hope it brings you some JOY...or inspiration...or a smile or laugh will do just fine too :)

Thursday morning update

Thunder is a great motivator!  I decided to run 1 mile intervals into my favorite trail and out of my favorite trail (this way I didn't need to carry water).  I confirmed there is more uphill running into the trail than running back.  I ran 4 one mile intervals this way and the 2 miles running out where 30 seconds faster than 2 miles running in.  I am a researcher/analyst so I can't help analyzing my running path too :)

With a 1/2 mile left I heard a thunder crack that made me jump!  This was a great motivator to get the heck off the trail and back to the safety of my car.  With about 1/4 mile to go the rain started and I reached my car just before a downpour. 

Overcast skies and thunder contributed to my best 4 mile pace ever.  Had to cut my run short but with Charles' inspirational email on my mind "the joy of running" I had a GREAT run today!  So...like I've said many times before...if I can do it...anyone can do it! 



P.S.  I just learned I'm assigned to Start Corral E for the Marathon...it must be a mistake!  Corrals are supposed to be based on estimated finishing time.  The Corrals are Elite and A-M.  I should be closer to M....  Hope I don't get trampled by 30,000 faster runners.  Time to do some additional research :)

Your friend Newbie,

Please donate…it only takes a few minutes (I PROMISE) and the children of RMHC need your help. Current total is $4,848 with a $10,000 goal...only 53!!! more days until the Marathon and blog farewell

Link to my blog
http://newbiemarathoner.blogspot.com/

Link directly to donation page
http://teamrmhc.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1008711&supid=359448020

No comments:

Post a Comment