Friday, August 17, 2012

Daring to Dare...






My dear friend, mentor, running inspiration and Marathon partner Cynthia gave me this card after running my first Half Marathon.  It meant so much to me and touched me so deeply I framed it.  It sits on my bathroom counter so I am reminded by it every morning.


On Thursday night I attended the final Uniquely Thursday for the summer.  I thought summer is coming to an end...seasons always change....


The end of the summer also means Bree is going back to school and Will is going off to college (next weekend!)


It reminds of something my friend and doctor told me years ago.  Our job as parents is to teach our children, love them and give them the "tools" to live a happy and fulfilling life (I'm paraphrasing her words).  I think of this often and especially now as Will is leaving to start his college adventure.

Will is much more adventurous than I was at his age...he is going far away from home...to a new city...without even one friend attending Tulune.  I admire his spirit and ability to Dare to Dare.  I am determined not to cry (although I am a crier by nature) when he leaves.  Stiff upper lip :)  I don't want him to see my sadness only my JOY as he starts this new phase in his life.

I like to think I have also developed more of a Dare to Dare spirit...deciding to run my first Marathon was definitely a stretch for me...but I Dared to Dare!  We can either live our life (we only have one you know!) mindlessly going through our days or...we can find the courage to Dare to Dare.  I can't say I have the courage to DARE all the time...but as I grow older (can't stop that either :))  ...the more I seem to find my COURAGE. 

Enough of my musings...I think you understand my message for today...Dare to Dare...I know you will not be disappointed if you give it a try...




PS.  Happy to report our first bike ride post bike wreck was without injury.  I remembered to unclip this time!


Your friend Newbie,

Please donate…it only takes a few minutes (I PROMISE) and the children of RMHC need your help. Current total is $4,948 with a $10,000 goal...only 50!!! more days until the Marathon and blog farewell

Link to my blog
http://newbiemarathoner.blogspot.com/

Link directly to donation page
http://teamrmhc.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1008711&supid=359448020







No comments:

Post a Comment