Tuesday, August 14, 2012

You know what happens when you assume...



Well...Bree and I ASSUMED we signed up for a peaceful sunset Jeep tour for our last evening in Whistler.  We assumed we would see a pretty wildflower filled meadow ...hopefully a bear... and then the sunset.  A quiet way to end our adventurous trip...


Wow!  Were we wrong!  That's what happens when you ASSUME :)

Note:  Again this post has little to do with running and inspiration.  However, it is about an expected opportunity to continue to conquer my fear of heights.  This time via Jeep tour!  This will be the last in my series of "what I did on my summer vacation" :).  So read on if you want to see more photos and watch some funny videos (at least I think they are funny!)

Bree and I hopped into the Jeep for a 2 hour Jeep sunset tour with our guide Barney, a couple from the US, and a woman from Germany (who didn't speak English).  We were all enjoying our scenic ride up the mountain past the Whistler Sliding Center (the bobsled run for the Whistler Olympics). 

Our driver asked us...are you ready for some off-roading?  OK...sounds good.  I've been on a few Jeep tours during other vacations and they are always fun and sometimes a little scary.  This tour turned out to be FUN but was also terrifying and exhilarating!  We turned off the main road and spent the next hour crossing many switchbacks, looking down steep cliffs and generally being jarred by the rock filled road.  I think our driver hit every rock on purpose!  Since there were no guardrails we had to put all our trust in our driver...


One of three videos...they are all short because the Iphone has it's limitations.  The videos don't really capture the experience.  Bree and I are laughing in the videos but it is really more a hysterical and maniacal laugh than a HA HA laugh.  But...it is an experience we will NEVER forget.








Gazing at the sunset

It was freezing!  Bree was happy she listened to her mother and didn't wear shorts :)


That is the "road" behind us...more like a bumpy, bone jarring trail!

We left Canada on Tuesday morning.  Bree's favorite souvenir is a giant Canadian flag (she really loves Canada!). 


What did I buy???  Nothing...all I need are my memories and of course all my photos and videos :)


Back to serious Marathon training....Speedwork at the track on Wednesday morning...strength training on Thursday...5 mile run on Friday and 16 mile run on Saturday!  I will be wiped out...but I will be READY on October 7th! 


Wednesday morning update

Speedwork today was awesome!!!  I'm getting faster.  My fastest 1/2 mile interval was 9.06 pace...and it was the last of the 8 intervals I ran.  I know that seems slow to some...but for me it's FAST :)  Although I started later than I planned...temp was still cool at 7:45am and the sky was overcast.  I LOVE sunny weather...EXCEPT when I run! 

Changing up my schedule a bit...today I ran a total of 5 miles and Thursday morning I will run 5 miles again (trail running this time).  But...if I can do it...anyone can do it!


AND  Happy Birthday to Madison!!! Definitely a future NewbieMarathoner :)





Your friend Newbie,

Please donate…it only takes a few minutes (I PROMISE) and the children of RMHC need your help. Current total is $4,848 with a $10,000 goal...only 53!!! more days until the Marathon and blog farewell

Link to my blog
http://newbiemarathoner.blogspot.com/

Link directly to donation page
http://teamrmhc.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1008711&supid=359448020

No comments:

Post a Comment