Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Heart of a Runner

Right now, there are 364 runners on Team RMHC. And if you browse through our fundraising site, you’ll see that everyone has a different story – a different reason for going the distance for Ronald McDonald House Charities. Although everyone’s story is special, there are some that are downright remarkable. Personal statements that have inspired us to run a little harder, raise a little more, and dig a little deeper.

Brandon has one of those stories, and the before and after photos that make his journey from the hospital to the finish line incredible. He agreed to share it on our blog to help inspire you too today. So Brandon, the page is all yours.


When I was 3 months old, I had severe heart problems. I was sent to Riley’s Childrens Hospital where I had multiple surgeries. The surgeries included: coarctation of the aorta, VSD repair for the holes in my heart, and a pacemaker implant. While I was in the hospital my family spent a week at the Indianapolis Ronald McDonald House. That week just happened to coincide with Christmas, but my family was able to celebrate with other families at the House. They not only had a warm, comfortable, and relaxing place to stay, the staff and volunteers at the House gave gifts to everyone who was there over the holiday.





Since then I have had to return to Riley every year for checkups. I would check-out as healthy, but there was always uncertainty. I started running when I was in seventh grade. I fell in love with the sport and in high school I joined the cross-country and track teams. In college though, the rigor of being a full-time student and balancing work inhibited my activity and I stopped running. I started gaining weight and got more and more out of shape.

In 2010 though, I told myself that I was sick of being unhealthy. So I started to run during the winter and spring again. As the year went on I decided to talk to my cardiologist about running more – about running a marathon. After some testing we decided that I could do it. I chose the Indianapolis Marathon because it was close to the doctors that knew the history of my conditions. The feeling of crossing the finish line was overwhelming – going from a baby who was struggling with heart complications to running a marathon was unbelievable. Since then, I have run two marathons and Chicago will be my fourth.

What makes this race so special is that I chose to run for RMHC – I couldn’t think of running for a better cause. RMHC and in particular, the Ronald McDonald House in Indianapolis helped me and my family tremendously. And over the years, I’ve come to know so many others who have benefited from RMHC and its Chapters. I feel like it is time for me to give back to the Charity that helped me and millions more.





As Charles so frequently says, running a marathon requires a lot of heart. Brandon, I think we can safely say that you’ve got the heart it takes to meet your goals. Thank you for inspiring us.
Your Team RMHC Support Crew


Your Friend Newbie


 “Joy is of the will which labours, which overcomes obstacles, which knows triumph.”
-William Butler Yeats




Please donate…it only takes a few minutes and the children of RMHC need your help

Link to my blog
http://newbiemarathoner.blogspot.com/

Link directly to donation page
http://teamrmhc.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1008711&supid=359448020

No comments:

Post a Comment