Thursday, June 28, 2012

Do running socks really look as nerdy as I think?

Gabi loves when I wear these to Starbucks!  But...anything to stop my shins from hurting.  I never thought I would wear black socks with gym shoes but there is a first time for everything :)  I didn't think I would ever wear them when running but I did that too! 

Most of the time I go for fashion over function but not when it comes to training and injury prevention.
Danielle's legs look great!  I am wearing nerdy compression socks :)

Every Saturday morning for the past few years, I've met with Danielle to "train".  Usually I am tired or have a slight headache from Friday night.  She would try to push me harder but I would whine about something.  My head hurt, my arm hurt, my neck hurt...  But she would do her best to get me motivated.  It usually worked, especially when kick boxing was on the agenda!


Lately I switched from Saturdays to a weekday morning and I knew she would not be happy with me today!  The first thing she said to me "Easy day today, Huh?"  Oopps...I knew she read my blog but didn't think she read it everyday.  I paid the price today for saying Thursday was my easy day.  More "tough love" :)  Thank you Danielle!!


We did not plan on matching outfits but I thought it was funny so we took a pic.
Danielle is a great trainer and Pilates instructor!

Does marching in the Hinsdale 4th of July Parade count as "running" or "cross training"?  Danielle is not only my trainer but we have also become good friends.  She invited me to join her as she marches in the parade with Madison and her feisty English Setter, Rocky.  Gabi is so excited and what a great way to start the 4th of July!  Better than getting hit in the face with a firework like I did a few years ago...but I will save that story for another post.

10 mile run on Friday.  It will be hot even at 6am at the lake.  It will definitely be a water bottle poured on my head kind of run.  Wish me luck!


Quote for the day
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. ~Albert Schweitzer

My thought for the day...be the spark!





Your friend Newbie
Please donate…it only takes a few minutes and the children of RMHC need your help
Link to my blog
http://newbiemarathoner.blogspot.com/
Link directly to donation page
http://teamrmhc.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1008711&supid=359448020

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your 10 miler tomorrow - you're going to do awesome!! :)

    And BTW I think your socks are adorable, I love them! I'm a big fan of compression socks, I find them really helpful in reducing stiffness in my legs AFTER a long or hard run. I wear them immediately after the run until the next morning :)

    Can't wait to hear about how you ROCKED that long run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure they are adorable but I think they work! I am wearing them right now :)
    Good luck with your training too!

    ReplyDelete