Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Dynamic Duo

Last week a group from the office decided to go to our new favorite Indian buffet for lunch. We were over indulging as usual...I really do need to run to eat :)

My coworker, Shaukat turns to me and asks, do you need to go to the doctor before you run a marathon? I laughed and said I probably should but it never occurred to me!

The rest of the conversation went something like this:

Shaukat: Do you think I can run a 5K? I am not a runner but I play racquetball.

Newbie: Of course you can!

Shaukat: Don't you think I'm too old?

Newbie:  No Way! My friend Jan ran her first marathon at age 56 and she had never ran one mile in her life. She decided in January that she would run the marathon in October (of the same year!) She trained for 9 months and proudly crossed the finish line. She definitely did not look like she just ran 26.2 miles! She was absolutely glowing and wore 4 inch heels to her presentation the next day. Shaukat, if she can train and run a marathon in 9 months...you can surely run your first 5K!

Philip joined in and said "Let's do it!" And then asked...how far is 5K?  Obviously,  Philip is not a runner either :)   Being the impatient person that I am...I said so.... WHEN are you running it? I will give you until the end of September to run it.   We shook on it and David chimed in he would donate $100 to my RMHC fundraising when they finished. Way to go Philip and Shaukat!!


A silly post lunch pic..I told them it looked like they were flashing gang signs!

Shaukat and Philip running their first 5k!
It warms my heart to know two NEWBIE5Krs have been inspired :) I can't wait to see them
cross the finish line.   Or I might join them!  Stay tuned to this Bat Channel...


Batman and Robin reminded me that I also have "utility belt."  But mine includes: Pepper spray (for coyotes), Shot Blocks, car keys, Nano, water, headphones, and IPhone.

My utility belt


Random pic!  Catwoman is bad...but so cool :)

 “Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Please donate…it only takes a few minutes and the children of RMHC need your help
Newbie
Link to my blog
http://newbiemarathoner.blogspot.com/

Link directly to donation page
http://teamrmhc.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1008711&supid=359448020

No comments:

Post a Comment